By the end of this module you should:
- Have an understanding of how the brain’s reward system drives addictive behavior
- Understand the working definitions of addiction according to two prominent medical bodies:
- The American Society of Addiction Medicine.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Understand the primary and chronic nature of addiction as a disorder
- Have a basic understanding of the role that brain plasticity plays in addiction
- Have a basic understanding of why treatment is necessary for addicted people.
- 1.3.1 Is Addiction Really a Disease?
- 1.3.2 Addiction as a Brain Disease/Disorder.
- 1.3.3 The Reward Circuit & Dopamine
- 1.3.4 Natural Versus Unnatural Rewards
- 1.3.5 Brain Plasticity & Addiction
- 1.3.6 Dopamine Depletion
- 1.3.7 Reward Deficiency
- 1.3.8 Why Do We Need Treatment?
- 1.3.9 Summary
- 1.3.10 Further reading, resources & references