Skip to content
- Do you have an inability to consistently abstain from alcohol? Have you ultimately been unable to stop (or stay stopped) despite the harm it causes?
- Do you experience impairment in behavioral control when you are drinking?
- Have you got drunk when you didn’t intend to?
- Have you missed important events in order to drink?
- Do you experience cravings for drinking alcohol?
- Do you obsess about it when you can’t get it?
- Do you spend significant amounts of time planning how you can get it?
- Have you ever tried to reduce or control the amount you drink unsuccessfully?
- Have you ever substituted one type of alcohol for another in an attempt to minimize the harm alcohol is doing to you (e.g. whisky for beer)?
- Have you increased the frequency or amount of your alcohol intake over the past months or years?
- Has your drinking caused problems in your relationships?
- Has alcohol affected your work performance?
- Do you have any health problems related to alcohol use?
- Do you have legal or financial problems due to your use of alcohol?
- Does your drinking cause you to have unhealthy negative feelings like guilt and shame?
- Do you ever hide alcohol in secret places or do you hide how much you are drinking by sneaking extra drinks when others aren’t looking?
- Do you become angry if your plans to drink are interfered with?
- Does your alcohol use make you feel confident/competent/at ease with yourself or help you to ‘fit in’? Do you think you would feel ill at ease or unable to fit in if you had to stop drinking?